The following is an adapted excerpt from Dr. Josh Axe's new book Ancient Remedies.
Want a vegan bowl absolutely loaded with vitamins and minerals and which also provides a complete macronutrient meal? This Ancient Grains Veggie Bowl recipe is it!
Macronutrients includes 73g good carbs, 17g protein and 22g performance fats. Nutrients with eye-popping numbers include 528% of Daily Value for vitamin A, 165% for manganese, 101% for copper, 77% for phosphorus and 58% for vitamin K.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 547
- Total Carbohydrates: 73.4g
- Fiber: 9.4g
- Sugar: 5g
- Total Fat: 21.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Protein: 16.9g
- Vitamin A: 12,314 IU (528% DV*)
- Vitamin C: 9.4mg (13% DV*)
- Folate: 184 µg (46% DV*)
- Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin): 0.44mg (40% DV*)
- Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin): 0.47mg (42% DV*)
- Vitamin B-3 (Niacin): 3.23mg (23% DV*)
- Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic acid): 1.66mg (33% DV*)
- Vitamin B-6: 0.64mg (50% DV*)
- Vitamin E: 4.32mg (29% DV*)
- Vitamin K: 51.9µg (58% DV*)
- Calcium: 112mg (11% DV*)
- Copper: 0.91mg (101% DV*)
- Iron: 5.3mg (29% DV*)
- Magnesium: 221mg (71% DV*)
- Manganese: 2.9mg (165% DV*)
- Phosphorus: 538mg (77% DV*)
- Potassium: 941mg (20% DV*)
- Selenium: 10.6µg (19% DV*)
- Sodium: 339mg (23% DV*)
- Zinc: 3.9mg (49% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2000 calories a day.
How to Make An Ancient Grains Bowl
Meal Type: Main Dishes
Diet Type: Gluten-free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 55 min
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole grains (quinoa or brown rice or combo)
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup stemmed and chopped kale
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup dairy-free pesto
- ¼ cup pine nuts, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil.
- Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Bake, for 40 minutes, turning once, or until browned on both sides.
- While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, cook the whole grains according to the package directions.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms and kale and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, whole grains, vegetable mixture, and pesto in a large bowl and toss to mix. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with the pine nuts.