Recipe courtesy of Dr. Josh Axe, co-founder of Ancient Nutrition and also author of the best-selling books Keto Diet and The Collagen Diet. He also recently authored Ancient Remedies.
Butternut Squash Bisque Recipe
Posted by Ethan Boldt on
It's getting cold outside, so nothing better than a hot squash soup! In this case, it's a Butternut Squash Bisque that loaded with good nutrition and is pretty easy to make.
The only challenging part is peeling the big butternut squash. I prefer to use a large sharp knife (be careful!) to take off the thick outer skin. Otherwise, use a good vegetable peeler.
With the addition of collagen protein, you'll also support your skin, joints and gut in this perfectly balanced macronutrient soup: 25 grams of carbs, 12 grams of fats and 11 grams of protein. Enjoy with some crusty bread or a sandwich for a hearty lunch!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 239
- Total Carbohydrates: 25.1g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Total Fat: 12g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Trans Fats: 0.5g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Potassium: 592mg (13% DV*)
- Sodium: 9mg (1% DV*)
- Vitamin A: 15300 IU (656% DV*)
- Vitamin C: 31.6mg (42% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2,000 calories a day.
How to Make Butternut Squash Bisque
Meal Type: Soups, Side Dishes
Diet Type: Gluten-Free, Paleo
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 4½ cups chicken bone broth (or 4 scoops Multi Collagen Protein, Collagen Peptides or Bone Broth Protein mixed with 4½ cups water)
- crème fraîche, optional
- nutmeg, sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the ghee. Add the onion, apple and sage, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
- Add squash and bone broth. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low. Simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender, purée the squash until smooth. (Or purée in a blender before placing back into the pot.)
- Stir in a little crème fraîche (optional). Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper before serving.