The following is an adapted excerpt from Dr. Josh Axe's new book Ancient Remedies.
In my recent book Ancient Remedies, I include many recipes loaded with ancient nutrients that can help make you healthier the old-fashioned way: through food!
In this full-flavored, high-protein Cleaning Soup recipe, the nutrition facts (see below) are off the charts. You get a whopping 49 grams of protein per serving and more than 20 percent daily value of a dozen vitamins and minerals.
One key ingredient is Bone Broth Protein, which offers the inherent benefits of collagen type II (which, in turn, naturally features glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid) plus 19 amino acids all rolled up in our chicken-based line.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 322
- Total Carbohydrates: 14.7g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sugar: 3.9g
- Total Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 49g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Potassium: 1057mg (23% DV*)
- Sodium: 1007mg (63% DV*)
- Vitamin A: 7834 IU (336% DV*)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 0.2mg (18% DV*)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 0.3mg (30% DV*)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 11.8mg (85% DV*)
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid): 2.4mg (49% DV*)
- Vitamin B6: 1.2mg (88% DV*)
- Vitamin B12: 0.2µg (10% DV*)
- Vitamin C: 21.1mg (28% DV*)
- Vitamin E: 1.8mg (12% DV*)
- Vitamin K: 13.5µg (15% DV*))
- Calcium: 73mg (7% DV*)
- Copper: 0.17mg (19% DV*)
- Iron: 2.7mg (15% DV*)
- Magnesium: 63mg (20% DV*)
- Manganese: 0.5mg (28% DV*)
- Phosphorus: 316mg (45% DV*)
- Potassium: 777mg (17% DV*)
- Selenium: 27µg (49% DV*)
- Zinc: 1.4mg (18% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2000 calories a day.
How to Make This Cleansing Soup
Meal Type: Soups, Lunches, Dinners
Diet Type: Gluten-free, Paleo
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 34 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 scoops Bone Broth Protein Pure mixed with 4 cups water (or 4 cups chicken bone broth)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and chicken and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the bone broth, ginger, miso, vinegar, turmeric and salt and stir well.
- Cover, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the soup to a boil.
- Stir in the peas. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.