Recipe courtesy of Dr. Josh Axe, co-founder of Ancient Nutrition and also author of the best-selling books Keto Diet and The Collagen Diet.
Ready for a serious breakfast and one that puts the protein in pancakes? Pumpkin pancakes are tasty all year, but when Fall rolls around, these are an absolute must-try.
With a list of clean ingredients that includes applesauce, eggs, coconut oil, coconut flour and Bone Broth Protein Pumpkin Spice, there’s zero guilt in indulging in these pumpkin pancakes. That’s because they’re filled with performance fats, protein and fiber. (In fact, with only 10 net carbs per serving, they quality as keto as long as you skip the maple syrup!)
Also a gluten-free pancake recipe, these have a whopping 36 grams of protein and 36 grams of fat per serving alongside just 16 grams of carbs. They will power you through your day!
Wondering how you can enjoy pancakes while sticking to your healthy diet? It’s all about the ingredients you choose. Here’s a breakdown of the nutrient-filled ingredients in this pumpkin pancakes recipe:
- Bone Broth Protein: Our Bone Broth Pumpkin Spice is a nourishing, collagen-based powder with traditional Fall spices. It works to satisfy your sweet tooth, while helping to support your gut, skin, nails and joints.
- Coconut Oil: The coconut oil in these pumpkin spice pancakes will keep them moist, while providing important, performance fats like lauric acid and caprylic acid.
- Almond and Coconut Flours: These flours are excellent choices for gluten-free eaters, plus it provides protein, fiber and iron.
- Applesauce: Applesauce also adds moisture to these pumpkin pancakes, and it provides fiber and antioxidants.
- Eggs: The eggs in this recipe serve as a binder, keeping the pancakes together, but they are also an excellent source of protein and micronutrients like selenium, riboflavin and vitamin B12.
- Serving Size: 4 pancakes
- Calories: 523
- Total Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Total Fat: 35.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 19.8g
- Saturated Fat: 12.9g
- Protein: 36.3g
- Cholesterol: 327mg
- Potassium: 440mg (9% DV*)
- Sodium: 434mg (18% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2,000 calories a day.
How to Make Protein Pumpkin Pancakes
Meal Type: Breakfast
Diet Type: Gluten-Free, Paleo
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 25 min
Total time: 30 min
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or nut milk of your choice)
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 scoops Bone Broth Protein Pumpkin Spice
- ? teaspoon sea salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk oil, applesauce, eggs and almond milk together.
- Stir in coconut flour, almond flour, protein powder and salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat griddle to medium heat, with a little coconut oil brushed on so the pancakes don't stick.
- Drop batter onto griddle and fry until bubbles form on one side.
- Flip and finish cooking.
- Top with optional maple syrup, fresh fruit and cinnamon.