Recipe courtesy of Dr. Josh Axe, co-founder of Ancient Nutrition and also author of the best-selling books Keto Diet and The Collagen Diet. He also recently authored Ancient Remedies.
Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipe with Bone Broth Protein
Posted by Ethan Boldt on
While it's easy to simply grab a bottle of tomato sauce to go with your pasta, you're not necessarily doing yourself any nutritional favors. Most of these bottled pasta sauces are not very healthy, with most of the carbohydrates made up of sugar and also high in sodium.
Go from nutritionally bankrupt to nutritionally rich by making your own fresh tomato pasta sauce. It's easier than you think! And when you add in Bone Broth Protein Pure, you're adding in valuable protein and collagen, including glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid and 19 amino acids.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 81
- Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sugar: 6.3g
- Total Fat: 2.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 520mg (13% DV*)
- Sodium: 280mg (19% DV*)
- Vitamin A: 2144 IU (92% DV*)
- Vitamin C: 27mg (37% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2,000 calories a day.
How to Make Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce
Meal Type: Main Dishes
Diet Type: Gluten-Free, Keto, Low Carb, Paleo
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- 6 tomatoes, chopped (or two 28 oz. cans of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 scoops Bone Broth Protein Pure
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and simmer until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in onion and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, oregano, chili flakes, red wine vinegar, basil, celery and carrot. Simmer until all vegetables are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to high speed blender and add in 2 scoop Bone Broth Protein Pure. Blend until smooth. (Or add protein powder to pot and use an immersion blender if you have one.)
- Serve over your favorite noodles. (Pro tip: try zucchini noodles to add even more nutrients to this dish!)