Dr. Josh Axe, DC, DNM, CNS, is a doctor of chiropractic, doctor of natural medicine, clinical nutritionist and author with a passion to help people get well using food and nutrition. He operates leading natural health website DrAxe.com and is co-founder of Ancient Nutrition, a health supplement company. He’s also author of the books Eat Dirt, Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine, Keto Diet, Collagen Diet and the recent Ancient Remedies.
By Dr. Josh Axe
Apple cider vinegar (or ACV) is made from fermented apples. It requires the use of yeast, which turns the sugars found in apples first into alcohol, and then into vinegar.
This whole process is called fermentation, and it produces a healthful vinegar that’s full of beneficial bacteria, as well as other compounds including acetic acid and polyphenol antioxidants.
If you want to reap the health perks of ACV, you can either drink unfiltered/raw ACV (such as in juice or a smoothie) or take it in supplement form.
Are apple cider vinegar supplements the same as drinking it? For the most part, yes, they are. Plus, if you choose cider vinegar supplements made with additional superfoods, such as herbs and berries, you can obtain even more beneficial compounds.
Why Are Apple Cider Vinegar Supplements So Popular?
ACV is well known as a detoxifying ingredient and a powerful digestive aid. It provides these benefits and more — such as help with nutrient absorption and maintaining a healthy pH balance — because of its acidic nature and due to acetic acid.
Why is herbal apple cider vinegar even more beneficial?
Traditional apple cider vinegar on its own offers many benefits, but ACV can be enhanced even more by the addition of “superfoods” such as herbs, berries and roots.
This creates a “tonic” that can help support various bodily systems and functions, such as digestion. In fact, the meaning of a tonic is “a beneficial substance taken to give a feeling of vigor or well-being.”
Ancient Nutrition’s Herbal Cider Vinegar is one of the first and most unique types of herbal vinegars available, but the concept of making herbal ACV tonics dates back many hundreds of years.
Herbal vinegars have long been used to assist in nutrient absorption, since vinegar extracts minerals such as calcium from plant foods that can otherwise be hard to digest. In other words, ACV has historically been combined with healthy herbs, greens, roots and so on to make them easier to break down and absorb.
What are apple cider vinegar supplements good for? Apple cider vinegar supplements, especially herbal ACV tonics, can provide the following benefits related to digestion, detoxification support and more:
- Can support healthy microbial balance.
- May support overall healthy weight management and a healthy body composition (when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle, including exercise).
- May help support appetite control.
- Promotes a healthy pH balance.
- Can offer support for cardiovascular health (in animal studies).
- Supports healthy body composition, including healthy bodily fat (visceral and subcutaneous fat mass).
- Promotes healthy antioxidant levels (in animal studies).
- Provides bioactive compounds, including amino acids, organic acids and polyphenols.
- Supports healthy oxidative stress levels (in adults).
- May help reduce fatigue (in animal studies).
Another added bonus of choosing Ancient Nutrition’s Herbal Cider Vinegar products? Most of the superfoods we use in our herbal cider vinegar products are grown on our own organic, regenerative farmland.
This means they’re grown using regenerative practices that are friendly to the earth — like low-till farming, natural grazing and cover crops. We never use toxic pesticides or herbicides in our herbal apple cider vinegar products (plus they're non-GMO), so you can feel good knowing that you’re consuming the highest quality superfoods possible.
Best Supplements & How to Use Them
Apple cider vinegar supplements now come in many forms, including liquid, tincture, capsules and gummies.
Can you take an apple cider vinegar supplement every day? Yes; most adults can benefit from ACV on a regular basis. The exact amount you should take daily depends on your current health, your goals, and which type of supplement or product you’re using.
Ancient Nutrition offers three types of fermented apple cider vinegar supplements: tincture, capsules and gummies. All types are made with 10+ organic superfoods and organic apple cider vinegar that is unfiltered. This is very important, because it ensures that beneficial bacteria and yeast are still present in the vinegar and not destroyed during high-heat processing.
Our Herbal Cider Vinegar tincture features ACV plus 10+ organic, regenerative superfood ingredients, including: fermented turmeric, moringa leafy, sumac berry, guava, passionfruit, holy basil leaf, elderberry, key lime, feijoa and goji.
Why types of benefits do superfoods in combination with ACV offer? Here are some of the highlights of the superfood ingredients used in the first-of-its-kind tonic:
- Organic fermented turmeric contains high amounts of beneficial compounds called curcuminoids, especially curcumin which generally can help promote a healthy response to inflammation.
- Whole plant organic fermented sumac berry is derived from deeply-colored red sumac berries that have been used for 2,000+ years for its general health-promoting properties.
- Guava, native to Central and South America, contains edible fruit and leaves that are rich in nutrients such as phenolic compounds.
- Passionfruit is brimming with antioxidants including polyphenols and vitamin C.
- Holy basil and its leaves have been used in the Ayurvedic tradition for centuries to promote a healthy response to stress.
- Elderberry contains antioxidants called anthocyanins and quercetin that can promote overall health.
- Feijoa has long been used in South America to make a liquid tincture that helps support digestive health.
- Goji berries have been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese health approaches.
Adults can take 2 dropperfuls (2 ml) by mouth one or more times daily. Try mixing it into coconut water, juice, herbal tea, smoothies with lemon and ginger, marinades or salad dressings. You can also use it to add flavor and nutrients to soups, stews and grains.
When adding any new supplement to your routine, including ACV, it’s best to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns or take daily medications. Likewise, you should always read and follow label directions for use.
2. Herbal Cider Vinegar Capsules
For the same benefits of our Herbal Cider Vinegar Tincture in an easy-to-take formula, try our Herbal Cider Vinegar Capsules.
Just like the tincture, these are made with organic, unfiltered ACV plus a superfood blend of antioxidant-rich herbs, berries and roots. Adults take two capsules per day.
Our new Herbal Cider Vinegar Gummies have a delicious strawberry-apple flavor that makes them easy to take any time of day.
In addition to containing ACV and our proprietary blend of 10+ superfoods, our cider gummies also feature more than 100 percent of your daily needs for vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin).
Not only do these cider gummies provide support for a healthy response to oxidative stress and healthy nutrient metabolism, but vitamin B12 provides additional benefits such as: support for cognitive health, healthy cellular energy production and healthy nervous system function.
Adults and children over age 4 can chew two gummies daily at any time of day.