Macaroni and cheese is a comfort food favorite for good reason. It’s hot, it’s cheesy and it’s delicious. But if you’ve ever looked at the ingredients on that famous blue box, you’ll know it’s full of a lot more than pasta and cheese.
And while homemade versions are tasty too, they’re not necessarily healthier — packed with calories, refined carbs and heaps of cheese, they offer little-to-no nutritional benefits.
Does that mean you have to give up your favorite food? No way! Instead, let’s give mac and cheese a makeover. Using cauliflower, two types of cheeses packed with goat's milk, kefir and Keto Collagen, you’ll get a deliciously health-focused version of a long-time favorite.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 218
- Total Carbohydrates: 4.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Total Fat: 13.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8.4g
- Trans Fats: 0.9g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Potassium: 212mg (5% DV*)
- Sodium: 537mg (36% DV*)
*Percentages are based on a diet of 2,000 calories a day.
How to Make Keto Collagen Cauliflower Mac
Meal Type: Side Dishes, Snacks
Diet Type: Gluten-Fee Keto, Paleo
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
- ghee or coconut oil, to grease pan
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into small florets
- ½ cup kefir
- ½ cup goat's milk cottage cheese, puréed
- 1½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1½ cups grated sheep's or goat's milk cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
- 3 scoops Keto Collagen
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ? teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease 8 x 8 pan with ghee.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Spread into prepared pan.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, mix together kefir, cottage cheese, and mustard until smooth.
- Stir in cheese, Keto Collagen, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder until cheese just starts to melt.
- Pour over cauliflower and stir. Top with additional cheese if desired.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
Recipe developed by Dr. Josh Axe, co-founder of Ancient Nutrition and also author of the best-selling books Keto Diet and The Collagen Diet.